Too many patients select an oral surgeon simply because it’s the one they most recently heard about. Simply put, not all oral surgeons will be able to offer you the same level of service that you need. Doing your homework ahead of time can help ensure that you will have a more pleasant experience at the office and during recovery. Looking up general reviews can be helpful, but you should also have some specific questions in mind as you do your research. Here are some important factors to consider when you select your oral surgeon:
1) Certification: One of the first things you need to find out is if the oral surgeon you are choosing is certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. This is critical because of the training and experience that this certification reflects. In order to become board certified, the surgeon needs to be a graduate of an accredited dental school, have a state license, and must have completed an oral and maxillofacial residency in a hospital. A general dental practitioner does not have this level of experience and training.
2) Cosmetic surgery experience: One overlooked aspect of finding the right oral surgeon is whether your he or she has experience with cosmetic surgery. It can be very helpful if your surgeon not only has technical skills for surgery, but also the skills necessary to protect your facial appearance.
3) Breadth of background: Obviously, the most important skill your oral surgeon needs to have is the ability to perform the specific procedure you need. However, if your surgeon has experience with a variety of procedures like dental implants, corrective jaw surgery, and reconstructive jaw surgery, that can show
4) Personality: It’s always preferable to select an oral surgeon who will listen to your concerns and address them patiently and thoughtfully. Find an oral surgeon who earns your trust because of the way they treat you.
5) Cost: Of course, cost is on every patient’s mind. It’s ideal to find an oral surgeon that is covered by your insurance provider, but it can be just as important to find an oral surgeon who is flexible and will try to find a way to work with your personal budget. If your primary concern in receiving oral surgery is cost, be open with your surgeon and you might be surprised at the ways they can help make your procedure affordable.
At UAOMS, our board-certified oral surgeons have the necessary skills and experience to perform your procedure correctly and efficiently. We do our best to find an affordable solution for your personal circumstances. Call our office today at 801-566-5117 to schedule a consultation.